Sunday, May 24, 2009

My 2 feral cats. Kitty (mum) & Kat (son)


ONLY FOR CAT LOVERS!


These cats were homeless after their 'owner' passed away.There was no one to feed them. I noticed that the refuse bags that had been put out for collection were being torn open. I gathered it was the 2 hungry feral cats. One day I noticed one of them standing on its hind legs drinking water out of my bird bath. I love cats & knew that these 2 cats had been 'doctored'. I decided to feed them. At first I asked for fish scraps from the restaurant kitchen but most of the time little care was taken. The scraps were mostly covered in sea food sauce. The cats did not enjoy that.


A big blow came when I was told that the cats were to be sent to the SPCA because 2 more tame cats were coming with their owner to live behind me & that, because it was my cats territory, they would fight the newcomers. The management ordered a trap from the SPCA that was to remain here for a week& that I was not to feed them.


As the days passed the cats sat and spied the chicken leg hanging in the cage but would not enter,so they started on the garbage bags again. At last the week was over.The trap was removed & that was two & a half years ago. Now they are fed on cat pellets once a day at 5pm when they arrive. They are very wild especially Kitty who has the most beautiful emerald eyes. Both are tabbies.Kat will now allow me to stroke him but only at the door although they both come quite a long way into the house when waiting for their evening meal which I have to give them just inside the door because the guinea fowls frighten them & gobble up the pellets.


Kitty is always the last to arrive & even begs for her food. Kat is given less than enough for the two of them.He's greedy. He loves his mum & often sits looking in her direction from where usually she comes & is so excited when she arrives when I give the extra food.They will not look at fresh water preferring to drink from the bird bath as does the new Manx cat who moved in with her owners behind me.(I think the chlorine dissipates after a few hours)


For two nights Kitty didn't come for her pellets. Kat was most distressed& was off his food spending much time waiting for her. Late on the third night Kitty arrived late after Kat had left. She was so chatty & even followed me into my office & sat staring at me & making cat noises like they do if they've caught a rat. I wish I understood cat language, I'm sure she was trying to tell me something. Perhaps she was missing Kat.


I don't know where they go all day or at night. They have a box with a bed in it but won't use it.

They are both sitting at the door tonight waiting for their food.


They have aklways been feral. In the photo Kitty is looking at Kat eating.






No comments:

Post a Comment